The History of Our Church
1948 - First meeting of 24 persons who were interested in forming a congregation in Abilene was held on February 1 (led by Pastor Ernest F. Guenther). Sunday worship services began immediately the next Sunday (2/8/1948).
1950 - On August 20, the Rev. Harold W. Kamman was ordained and installed (he served the congregation as pastor until November 24, 1957). On October 31, 1950, the group was originally organized as a congregation.
1951 - The congregation officially joined The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod on August 20.
1952 - The church is located at the NW corner of 16th and Buckeye, purchased early in 1952.
1953 - Ground was broken on Easter Day, April 5th, and work began the same week. Some portions of the work were performed by members of the church. The original church is of contemporary design design, yet it retains many features of a traditional church.
1954 - On January 10, dedication services were held for this redwood, A-frame church building, designed by architect Uel C. Ramey.
1958 - The congregation was served by Vicars Herman Jank & Ray Pomplun, until 1960.
1960 - The Rev. R.W.P. Albers was ordained and installed July 10 (he served the congregation as pastor until September 16, 1963).
1964 - The Rev. Irvin Bruenjes served as pastor from May 24, 1964 to March 4, 1974.
1968 - January - Architect Calvin H. Bowden was authorized to complete plans for construction as approved. March - A contract is made with general contractor Paul Gay (a member of the congregation). April - Groundbreaking ceremony is held on Easter Day. December 8 - formal dedication of present Christian Education Addition.
1971 - May 9, Service of Dedication for new Sanctuary.
1974 - The Rev. Norman R. Sawyer served as pastor from June 30, 1974, to October 24, 1978.
1979 - The Rev. Henry Wolter served as pastor from October 14, 1979, until his retirement in October, 1986. He continued to serve the congregation until called to the Church Triumphant on January 9, 1987.
1980 - November 2 - mortgage burning and recognition of the 30th anniversary of formal organization of the congregation.
1987 - The Rev. Gary Wolf served as pastor from March 1, 1987 to November 23, 1997.
1990 - 40th Anniversary Worship was held on October 28.
1997 - The 150th Anniversary of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod was celebrated on April 27: "Sent Forth by God's Blessing."
1998 - The Rev. Tim Kersten served as pastor from August 16, 1998 to December 22, 2002.
2000 - 50th Anniversary of Faith Lutheran Church was celebrated on Reformation Sunday, October 29.
2003 - Painting of the inside of the sanctuary/narthex, elevator addition and sanctuary/narthex lighting was completed. The Rev. Justin Panzer was installed as pastor on July 20, 2003. He is currently serving as the pastor of the congregation.
2004 - Handi-cap accessible restrooms were completed. Entrance on the west side of the church remodeled. Narthex classroom remodeled for a work room/children's room.
June 13: Michael Hageman, "son of the congregation," ordained into the Office of the Holy Ministry
2005 - Exterior of the church repainted. New entry doors were installed.
2006 - Basement Classrooms and Kitchen/Fellowship Hall remodeling were completed.
2007 - Dedication of the Lutheran Service Book hymnals was held during the January 7 worship service. Dedication of the sanctuary seating and basement improvements followed by a potluck brunch was held on January 28.
2008 - Dedication of sanctuary and basement windows; dedication of the parking lot and church sign was held on May 11.
2010 - Dedication of south wall/stained glass windows; burning of parking lot lien was held on May 9. October 31 (Reformation Sunday) - 60th Anniversary of Faith Lutheran Church was held. Rev. Harold Kamman (pastor at Faith from 1950-1957) served as guest preacher during the morning worship service, and Rev. Keith Kohlmeier (KS District LCMS President) served as guest preacher during the afternoon Anniversary Worship & Circuit 9 Reformation Service.
2014 - Purchase of the 106 NW 16th property (located directly west of the church on the corner)